The Portage Road, an ancient First Nations pathway becomes Main Street in town (a bit like Broadway in New York). The area where Main Street crosses Ferry Street is filled with pawnbrokers and payday lenders.
Continuing along Ferry Street we came to the Drummond Hill Cemetery and the Lundy’s Lane Battlefield Park, both rather beautiful and showing off much of what we’d just learned in the History Museum. Across the street from the Cemetery, on the outskirts of the Niagara Falls Christian Ministries and in the shadow of the Advance Inn, were these lonely straggler graves, their inscriptions wiped away by history.
We spent an enjoyable hour or two in the newish History Museum adjoining the old Stamford Town Hall. There were exhibits on the War of 1812 and an interesting set of beadwork on doors that is part of a truth and reconciliation project related to the Indian Residential School system horrors.